The STM32 F4-series is the first group of STM32 microcontrollers based on the ARM Cortex-M4F core. The F4-series is also the first STM32 series to have DSP and floating point instructions. The F4 is pin-to-pin compatible with the STM32 F2-series and adds higher clock speed, 64K CCM static RAM, full duplex I¬≤S, improved real-time clock, and faster ADCs. The summary for this series is:
- Static RAM consists of up to 192¬†KB general purpose, 64¬†KB core coupled memory (CCM), 4¬†KB battery-backed, 80¬†bytes battery-backed with tamper-detection erase.
- Flash consists of 512 / 1024 / 2048¬†KB general purpose, 30¬†KB system boot, 512¬†bytes one-time programmable (OTP), 16 option bytes.
- Each chip has a factory-programmed 96-bit unique device identifier number.
- Common peripherals included in all IC packages are USB 2.0 OTG HS and FS, two CAN 2.0B, one SPI + two SPI or full-duplex I¬≤S, three I¬≤C, four USART, two UART, SDIO for SD/MMC cards, twelve 16-bit timers, two 32-bit timers, two watchdog timers, temperature sensor, 16 or 24 channels into three ADCs, two DACs, 51 to 140 GPIOs, sixteen DMA, improved real-time clock (RTC), cyclic redundancy check (CRC) engine, random number generator (RNG) engine. Larger IC packages add 8/16-bit external memory bus capabilities.
- The STM32F4x7 models add ethernet MAC and camera interface.
- The STM32F41x/43x models add a cryptographic processor for DES / TDES / AES, and a hash processor for SHA-1 and MD5.
- The STM32F4x9 models add a LCD-TFT controller.
- Oscillators consists of internal (16¬†MHz, 32¬†kHz), optional external (4 to 26¬†MHz, 32.768 to 1000¬†kHz).
- IC packages: WLCSP64, LQFP64, LQFP100, LQFP144, LQFP176, UFBGA176. STM32F429/439 also offers LQFP208 and UFBGA216.
- Operating voltage range is 1.8 to 3.6¬†volt.